MASTER OF CONTEMPORARY INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
The Master of Contemporary International Studies (MCIS) aims to shape students’ attitudes and thinking. You will learn how to transform, design and critically appraise business practices from sustainable development perspectives.
The MCIS is designed to prepare students who are interested in international business, international relations and sustainable development. The programme’s suite of papers exposes students to a high level of academic inquiry.
Concepts, methodologies and insights from different disciplines provide a truly unique framework for critical analysis and the evaluation of business operations. Graduates will be able to identify and understand critical elements of a particular management research problem, design and execute independent scholarly and/or applied research, and suggest recommendations to a wide variety of stakeholders.
Key managerial skills: leadership, planning and organisation, analysis and decision-making, teamwork, integrity. Careers at supervisory and management levels where an understanding of international business, trade, politics and environmental, social and cultural sensitivity is required.
See below for job outcomes available to you once you complete your qualification.
FURTHER EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
Completion of a Masters of Contemporary International Studies to a high level may allow a graduate to apply to enter a programme of doctoral studies at a university.
- Any undergraduate degree with a minimum 50% grade average or better.
- Prior undergraduate degree with a minimum 50% grade average or better.
- Completion of PDCIS with a B average.
- Evidence of English proficiency, equivalent to IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with no band lower than 6.0.
RECOMMENDED PRIOR KNOWLEDGE
Students may not have previous knowledge in the specialty areas. Nonetheless they are expected to be able to function successfully using essay writing and research skills they have acquired from their Bachelors degree.
• Five double-credit papers, two of which are compulsory: Research Methods, and Resource Management
MCIS RESEARCH YEAR
• Followed by one further year of research. Either a 60-credit Research Report, and one further double-credit paper or a 90-credit Research Thesis.
Postgraduate study guide (1.2MB)
COMPULSORY PAPERS (YEAR ONE)
All postgraduate students are required to take FIVE papers, with no more than TWO papers per semester.
TWO compulsory papers
- Resource Management (30 credits)
- Postgraduate Research Methods (30 credits)
THREE elective papers
The following Level 8 papers may be offered:
- People, the Planet and Sustainability (30 credits)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation (30 credits)
- Business, the Environment and Corporate Social Responsibility (30 credits)
- Science, the Environment and Policy Making (30 credits)
- Politics and Development (30 credits)
- Contemporary Marketing (30 credits)
- Sustainability and Management Accounting (30 credits)
- International Human Resource Management (30 credits)
- Leadership, Communication and Change Management (30 credits)
(Not all papers will be offered every year)
COMPULSORY PAPERS (YEAR TWO)
Students may select from the following options:
- Executive Strategic Project (90 credits)
- Thesis (90 credits)
- Executive Project (60 credits) and one additional Level 8 paper (30 credits)
- Research Paper (60 credits) and one additional Level 8 paper (30 credits)
Students successfully completing the remaining 90 credits in Year Two, may then graduate with a MCIS.
Highly-skilled graduates are sought after in a wide variety of industries. A postgraduate qualification will open up a wider range of high-level career opportunities in the following areas.
GENERAL JOB TYPES
- Team Coach
- Team Leader
IN-DEMAND JOB TYPES
- Marketing Professional (Specialist, Executive, Manager)
- Project Manager (Executive/coordinator)
- Digital Marketing (Specialist, Executive, Manager)
- Digital Business & Digital Enterprise Professionals (Executive, Supervisor, Manager)
- HR Executive (Professionals, Managers)
- Logistics & Distribution Professionals
- Sales or Retail Manager (any industry)
- Human Resource (Executive, Consultant, Manager)
- Public Relations (Specialist, Executive, Professional, Managers)
- ICT Sales (Professionals, Executive, Managers, BDM)
- Education Professionals (Executive, Specialist, Manager)
- Regional Education (Expert, Executive, Manager)
- Management Professionals (Business & Admin)
- Research Executive (Analyst, Specialist, Manager)
- Advertising and Public Relations (Executive, Manager)
- International Relations (Executive, Coordinator Manager)
- Financial & Accounting Professionals
- ICT Project (Executive, coordinator, Manager)
- Business Development Manager (any industry)
- Communications Professional (Executive, Specialist, Manager)