POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA OF CONTEMPORARY INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
The Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary International Studies (PDCIS) exposes students to a wide range of international business and contemporary management issues from an interdisciplinary perspective.
The programme is designed to develop problem solving, critical analysis, team working skills and effective communication skills; It gives graduates the confidence and ability to tackle complex business resource management problems and to have a significant impact on a variety of situations and roles in the global market.
This programme is self contained but can also be a first year for the Master of Contemporary International Studies (MCIS).
Graduates may apply for the research year of the Master of Contemporary International Studies or further postgraduate study in areas of socio-political, socio-environmental and sustainable development.
Key managerial skills: leadership, planning and organisation, analysis and decision-making, teamwork, integrity. Careers at supervisory and management levels where an understanding of international business, trade, politics and environmental, social and cultural sensitivity is required.
See below for job outcomes available to you once you complete your qualification.
Click here for more information about the Key Information for Students
- Any undergraduate degree with a minimum 50% grade average or better
- Prior undergraduate degree with a minimum 50% grade average or better
- Evidence of English proficiency, equivalent to IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with no band lower than 6.0
RECOMMENDED PRIOR KNOWLEDGE
Students may not have previous knowledge in the specialty areas. Nonetheless, they are expected to be able to function successfully using essay writing and research skills they have acquired from their Bachelor’s degree.
- 150 credits, one year, full time.
- 5 double-credit papers, 2 of which are compulsory: Research Methods and Resource Management
Postgraduate study guide (1.61MB)
COMPULSORY PAPERS (YEAR ONE)
All postgraduate students are required to take FIVE papers, with no more than TWO papers per term.
TWO compulsory papers
- Resource Management (30 credits)
- Postgraduate Research Methods (30 credits)
THREE elective papers
The following Level 8 papers may be offered:
- People, the Planet and Sustainability (30 credits)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation (30 credits)
- Business, the Environment and Corporate Social Responsibility (30 credits)
- Science, the Environment and Policy Making (30 credits)
- Politics and Development (30 credits)
- Contemporary Marketing (30 credits)
- Sustainability and Management Accounting (30 credits)
- International Human Resource Management (30 credits)
- Leadership, Communication and Change Management (30 credits)
Students successfully completing 150 credits may then graduate with a PDCIS.
Highly skilled graduates are sought after in a wide variety of industries. A postgraduate qualification will open up a wider range of high level career opportunities in the following areas.
GENERAL JOB TYPES
- Team Coach
- Team Leader
IN-DEMAND JOB TYPES
- Marketing Professional (Specialist, Executive, Manager)
- Project Manager (Executive/coordinator)
- Digital Marketing (Specialist, Executive, Manager)
- HR Executive (Professionals, Managers)
- Logistics & Distribution Professionals
- Sales or Retail Manager (any industry)
- Human Resource (Executive, Consultant, Manager)
- Public Relations (Specialist, Executive, Professional, Managers)
- ICT Sales (Professionals, Executive, Managers, BDM)
- Work Force Professionals and Call Centre (Supervisor, Manager)
- Education Professionals (Executive, Specialist, Manager)
- Regional Education (Expert, Executive, Manager)
- Management Professionals (Business & Admin)
- Research Executive (Analyst, Specialist, Manager)
- Advertising and Public Relations (Executive, Manager)
- International Relations (Executive, Coordinator Manager)
- Financial & Accounting Professionals
- ICT Project (Executive, coordinator, Manager)
- Business Development Manager (any industry)
- Communications Professional (Executive, Specialist, Manager)