- About IPU
- Enrolments & Assistance
- Student Life
- Your Future
- Contact Us
- International Students
Last updated: 22/11/2016
Source: Open Education Database
Discover a world of lesson plans, interactive activities, resource packs, PowerPoints, worksheets and teaching ideas. At this stage, we are able to provide online ESL teaching resources. However, the page is being developed and we are expecting to bring to you more teaching resources for other disciplines such as Business Studies, International Relations and Environmental Studies.
|English Language Studies||Business Studies|
|International Relations||Environmental Studies|
English Language Studies
Learning a new language is always daunting, especially when that language is as full of weird rules and contradictions as English. Even native speakers sometimes have trouble mastering the nuances of tense and grammar. Fortunately, if you’re originally a non-English speaker, there are a fantastic amount of resources online to help you master the English language. From speaking to writing, these tools will help you get a handle on English and help you in your education and career. Don’t let the size of the task stop you from getting it done. Use these resources and you’ll be fluent in no time.
The ESOL Teaching Skills TaskBook is a professional development resource comprising 40 stand-alone tasks that focus on different aspects of teaching English to speakers of other languages. The ETS TaskBook is a flexible resource that allows schools to provide their teachers with practical professional development opportunities.
Grammar and Usage
Use these sites to boost your grammar knowledge, from verb tenses to noun placement.
- Breaking News English: These inventive lesson plans teach ESL by drawing inspiration from recent news and global affairs. Packed with information about word usage, grammar, and more.
- ESL-Lounge: Hundreds of awesome exercises make this site a fantastic tool for students. Parts of speech and vocabulary are classified by difficulty.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: The OWL is a wonderful repository of practice sheets and linguistic primers for learners at all levels.
- Dave’s ESL Cafe: ESL teacher Dave Sperling’s in-depth site provides numerous lessons about sentence structure, word use, and more.
Spelling and Pronunciation
These sites will help ESL students learn how to speak or spell the English words they’ve been learning.
- BBC Learning English: This resource from the British channel offers all kinds of lessons and tips for learning English, including pronunciation, vocab, and grammar lessons.
- Learn English Kids, British Council: Though this site is aimed at kiddos, anyone trying to get a grasp on English spelling and speaking will find its games fun and useful.
- Antimoon: Learn to recognise the sounds in the English language and use correct intonation.
Vocabulary and Writing
Building a vocabulary is one of the most important parts of mastering a language. These sites help students start adding words to their vocabulary, learning how to use them verbally and on paper.
- Flash Card Exchange: This browser-based tool lets you study thousands of words, create your own flash cards, and sort cards based on category and learner language.
- 20-Minute ESL Lessons: These audio lessons cover basic vocabulary for a variety of everyday situations, including office life.
- Vocabulary Can Be Fun: This site offers a variety of entertaining games designed to enhance vocabulary use through interactive play.
- Pizzaz: This site uses poems and short stories as writing examples and exercises to teach creative writing and usage.
- About.com English Vocabulary: About.com has a number of resources for ESL including these helpful business vocabulary lessons for several different industries.
- Aardvark’s English Forum: In the student section of this forum, you can read famous quotations, work your way through novels in English, and do interactive language exercises to understand the written English language better.
- Vocaboly: Download a free trial of this site’s vocabulary builder and then test your knowledge.